Tuesday, February 28, 2006

New Time?

So last week turned out to be the last show for "Leave My Kitten Alone", which was formerly "What's New Pussycat". I'm not sure exactly how long it has been on in the Monday 9pm -11pm time slot, but I know it's been quite a while. Erika and Juliana are both very talented DJ's, and I'll miss them. This leaves something of a hole in the schedule, so I threw my name in the hat for the earlier time slot. It's all up to the KAOS programming committee at this point, so we'll see what happens. If I do get the slot, I'll probably be starting at 9pm next week. Melissa & Patrick from "I'm Not Here To Make Friends" (Thurs. 9p-11p) were in subbing tonight. I showed up a little early, since I didn't bring any music from home this week. As usual, I only played about half of what I pulled. Someone left a couple of pizzas in the studio, and acording to Patrick, they were fine. I didn't test my luck, though. I was surprised to see a new Sparks CD. Their first album came out in 1971, and this is their 24th. I remember Sparks from their single in 1983, "I Predict". I belive my brother really liked the song at the time. Later on, in early high school, I wanted to hear that song again, as I was in an 80's revival phase, the 80's only being freshly expired. I found out that it was on the album "Angst In My Pants" (I had no clue what the title meant - so innocent!), and special ordered the cassette from Camelot Records in South Sound Mall (roughly about where the ladies lingere is in Target now). I also have a copy of their record "Introducing Sparks" which is notable for being on red vinyl and possibly the least essential of all their albums. It was a dollar, and the album photos are hi-larious. Back to the new album, it sounds like Sparks, with really clean production and orchestral flourishes. I didn't get a chance to listen to the song, as I had a call, but I'm very curious to hear how it all plays out. We also got a Built To Spill sampler, with the new single "Goin' Against Your Mind" off of their forthcomming album, You In Reverse. I'd played it off of their Myspace page a couple weeks ago, but I'd heard it on KAOS and KEXP recently, so I figured there was a release of some sort. I'm also thrilled that they released a nearly 9 minute song as a single. I also like what I've heard on the new Bossanova album, but I need to listen to the whole thing. Anyway, a good show.

1 comment:

Howard said...

I didn't listen to the show but it looks like a good playlist.

I like your promo! Keep up the good work!