Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So thirsty, so very thirsty...

I was lucky to make it in tonight. I came down with a horrible cold last week, starting with a sore throat during my show. It progressed into this super-cold, which I found out may have been a respiratory flu. By Wednesday night, I was totally congested with a fever and the chills. I stayed home from work Thursday and Friday, and by Saturday was beginning to feel like I was through the worst of it. It's still lingering around, but I feel much better. Tonight was my first 9pm show. I had a really busy day, and went in to the studio straight from a meeting. John Ford was there, but both he and his co-host weren't feeling well, so they aired a syndicated program. Normally, it's a live talk show. John took off early, and I had the place to myself to get ready. I finished my coffee about 8:45, and realized that was the only liquid that I had in the studio. Oops. There were two really good shows in town tonight. Laura Viers and Wet Confetti were playing on campus at Evergreen, and Nudity, DMBQ, King Cobra, and zZz were playing at the Yes Yes downtown. I would have gone to either of those shows if I hadn't been on the air. zZz are from Amsterdam (if it's the same band I'm thinking of), and I really liked their CD from last year, "The Sound Of zZz". Next Monday, Karl Blau and Calvin Johnson have a show at the Yes Yes during my show. Since when is Monday the new show night? Since I had three hours to fill, I got to listen to lots of new music. We got the new Mates Of State CD, "Bring It Back", which is their first release on Seattle's Barsuk Records. I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of the album. We also got the new Pink Mountaintops CD, "Axis Of Evol". They're playing at the Crocodile Cafe tomorrow night. I haven't listened to their first album, but I'm a big fan of Black Mountain, which share several of the same folks. Check out www.jerkwithabomb.com for more info on the Black Mountain Army. It's nice being home a bit earlier, although it'll be even better when we have another show at 11pm. Next week is the big Spring Pledge Drive show! I'll be doing some pledge drive stuff on this Thursday during "I'm Not Here To Make Friends" and "Catch A Wave", and then on Tuesday from 10am to 1pm (I think). Pledge now at www.kaosradio.org!

No comments: