Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving

I really don't have any thanksgiving songs. Except for "Styrofoam Plates" by Death Cab For Cutie, but I forgot about that one. Not as much new music this week. Being a college radio station, the labels don't always send us stuff when they think we're not here. Summer had a nice little stream of music, but September brought huge glut of CD's into the station. Despite the Christmas releases coming out, there's not much for November so far. Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3 are playing at the Crocodile this Saturday. I kind of want to go, but don't know if there are any tickets available. Mark Pickerell is playing the show with them, and it would be nice to say hi. He owned Rodeo Records in Ellensburg when I was in college over there, and I got to know him a little bit. I missed his show in Olympia earlier this year for some reason, probably work. I've also entered my official winter XTC obsession. For some reason, every winter I go on an XTC listening binge. It usually lasts till spring, so you'll all just have to bear with me. Currently, I'm listening to Oranges & Lemons, particularly the song, "Scarecrow People". It has a really great chorus. I'm hoping to get the Fuzzy Warbles Box Set for Christmas. It's really quite a good deal, 8 discs and a book for 65 dollars. It's a bit silly, since I already own all of their albums (I have 3 different versions of English Settlement), 2 box sets, and several b-sides collections. But the Fuzzy Warbles series has many of the early versions of songs, as well as unreleased demos & the like. I will be doing my show on Christmas night, but I haven't decided what I'll do. Ever since I did 3 hours of solid Christmas music on the morning show, I've tried to moderate it a bit. However, I do have lots of fond memories of all the 80's Christmas rock music. It wasn't easy to track down Bryan Adams' "Reggae Christmas".

No comments: